Did you know?
Snoring can be a"Red Flag"?
Snoring is the sound that is made because of partially obstructed breathing while sleeping. While it's certainly annoying, it is mostly regarded as harmless. In actual fact though, it can very well be a warning sign for a much more serious condition referred to as "Obstructive Sleep Apnea".
Obstructive Sleep Apnea occurs when the tongue and soft palate collapse onto the back of the throat, restricting the flow of oxygen. Sleep Apnea can cause:
- Chronic Sleeplessness
- Heart Attacks
- Morning Headaches
- High Blood Pressure
- Daytime Fatigue
What Does A Quiet Night's Sleep
Mean to You?
- It's important to remember that Sleeplessness affects both partners! While you may be A Sleep Apneic your partner may also be negatively impacted.
- There are more than 8 million sleep apneics in North America who go undiagnosed and 20 million are problematic snorers.
- Our experience is based on the Alberta Health care model from the Calgary University Hospital and the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. It is this model that proposes that Dentists have a primary responsibility to work as part of the health care team to screen , and assist in the treatment of snoring and sleep apnea.
- If you or a family member believe you may have symptoms of sleep apnea like snoring, please contact us to fill in a “sleepiness questionnaire” and get assessed to see if you require treatment
Treatment can be life changing! Not just for you but also for your loved ones!
Dental Appliance Therapy
If you know someone that snores or misses breathes while sleeping or gasps for air suddenly while sleeping, then they may benefit from a dental examination and screening study. They may snore at socially unacceptable levels or actually stop breathing. Here are some steps you can take.
- Keep up to date Medical and Dental History with your healthcare providers.
- Sleep habits should be recorded by you or a partner to help provide insights into your condition.
- Consider signing up for sleep study either overnight in a hospital under constant monitoring or with a Sleep Recorder in your own home. Please note, FitBit and Smart Watches, while they do record sleep patterns are of little use when determining interruption to sleep caused by snoring or Sleep Apnea. They may provide clues to disturbances in your sleep but are no substitute for a proper sleep study.
Consult with our office to see if you can benefit from Oral Appliance Therapy